Tuesday 23 February 2016

Review: Benjamin Zephaniah.


Photo by David Morris, used under Creative Commons
If one positive thing could be said about Benjamin Zephaniah, it's that he's passionate when reciting poetry.

Fortunately, I can say rather more than one positive thing. I encountered Zephaniah in my last year of primary school. His book, Talking Turkeys, was on a list of suggested book purchases with a coupon.

Zephaniah's poetry spoke to a childish part of me that was all too often quiet.

Fifteen years later, I find it still has the same power, especially read by the man himself. The Wrong Radio Station and What's That Got To Do With Me may be somewhat darker and more adult than the contents of Talking Turkeys (although I suspect I may simply understand them better), but they retain the same playfulness that makes you sit up and actually enjoy the poem.


It helps that Zepheniah is absolutely one of the youngest fifty-seven year olds I've ever met.

- Eadgyth Cable

No comments:

Post a Comment